Ghost is a great blogging platform for those who enjoy its zen like process. If you want a bit more control like seo and social media shareability optimization plugins, then you may want to move to another platform till Ghost has those functionalities. As this blog grew I found my demands exceeded the abilities of Ghost, and I decided to move to WordPress. After setting up my WordPress site (check here) I came across the problem of migrating my posts from Ghost to WordPress. Ghost gives you a json file and WordPress takes an xml file. I couldn’t find any Ghost or json importer so I had to get creative.
Overview of the plan
- If you want to import your posts as markdown install WP-Markdown
- Export from Ghost and get the JSON file
- Use the Ghost JSON export file to WordPress XML Import File converter to convert the JSON file into an XML file WordPress can understand
- Install and use the Wordpres Importer to import the new XML file
Step – 0 If you want to import your posts as markdown install WP-Markdown
One of the things I loved about Ghost was markdown, and I intend to keep using it in WordPress. In order to use markdown in WP you have to install a plugin. I loved WP-Markdown because it did away with the default editor and turns all posts into markdown. Because it turns the default format of the posts into markdown it makes importing markdown very easy.
Step – 1 Export from Ghost and get the JSON file
- Log into the admin dashboard.
- point your browser to
yourdomain.com/ghost/debug. **Update 06 Dec 2017: Due to Ghost dashboard updates RedJess has advised that the link is now the following:
- Export the file and save it to your computer.
- Open the file in your favourite text editor.
- Highlight the whole document and copy it.
Step – 2 Use the Ghost JSON export file to WordPress XML Import File converter to convert the JSON file into an XML file WordPress can understand
Go to the converter and follow the instructions there.
Step – 3 Install and use the WordPress Importer to import the new XML file
- Log into your WordPress admin dashboard
- Go to
Tools -> Import
- Click on WordPress
- If it is not installed then install it
- Click on browse and choose the xml file that you made in step-2
- Click on
upload file and import